Sunday, September 03, 2006

MLK YHWH

From teaching myself Hebrew, I'm learning to recognize root words, the three foundational consonants. One root I've become familiar with is M-L-K, which variously translated means king, kingdom, etc. But something curious I stumbled on is the wording of "Angel of the Lord" in the OT. Angel, here, is actually "malak". King is "melek." Both "king" and "angel" share the same root word MLK. So, it seems, based on this relationship, "Angel of the Lord" can be understood to also mean "King Yahweh".

2 Comments:

Blogger Tyler F. Williams said...

Don't forget mal'ak (messenger, angel) has an aleph after the lamed. The word actually has no relation to the m-l-k cluster meaning king, reign, etc. The root m-l-'-k (messenger) is l-'-k which is well attested in other semitic languages.

2:05 PM  
Blogger slaveofone said...

I stand corrected. Well, I never claimed to have any good grasp of Hebrew yet. In time.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogstats