Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Voyages in the KJV - 1

Until recently, I had never actually seen the real deal. I don't think many nowadays have. Not even the electronic versions on-line are the original, honest-to-goodness 1611 KJV. When I saw it, I was amazed. It was far more than I thought it would be. It was not just a tome of scripture or a marvel of antiquated scholarship, it was a wonder of artistic craftsmanship and human industry that, perhaps, has never been equaled since in any bible and could only be bested by ancient Hebrew and Greek codices. And the language...wow. No KJV ever read like this.

Below is the top portion of a picture on the opening page. Columns, crafted with saints, support the structure on the sides below this canopy (out of picture). Entire stories and theologies could be told just from this part of it. What I find most interesting is the representation of God therein. You have the symbol of a pierced lamb among men instead of a human face and instead of the white Anglo image that is now associated with Yeshua. Then, above, is a bird. It is not the iconic dove adorning church buildings—it is a realistic dove flying over the earth to bring light to men so that it is a kind of third luminary of the heavens. And then, above the Spirit, and the source from whence it sprung, is no image, but a Hebrew name, the one revealed to Moses. Yahweh. I am that I am. The one who is. The Being One. This is just a taste of what the old English book offers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blogstats